Teenager and two men ‘killed Asian man in racist attack over bag of crisps’

Two men and a teenage girl are on trial accused of killing an Asian man in a racist attack over bags of crisps at a grocery store.

Aaron English, 23, Justin McDonald, 22, and Demi Dearie, 19, are charged with launching the assault on several men at the shop in Glasgow last year after a row over paying for bags of crisps.

One of the alleged victims, Manzoor Ahmed, 67, died of a heart attack in hospital a week after the incident.

They are charged with committing the culpable homicide of Mr Ahmed, who suffered from heart disease, by punching him on the head and knocking him to the ground.

They are accused of carrying out the racially aggravated attack at Super Asia in Pollokshaws Road on October 7 last year. The three are also accused of assaulting employees Muhammad Ishtiaq and Muhammed Ashraf, as well as store managers Mohammed Javed and Asim Akhter.

The High Court in Aberdeen heard on Wednesday that the three accused are charged with attacking customer Graham Boag who was in the shop at the time.

Mr Boag, 32, told the trial how the attacks started after McDonald refused to queue for his crisps and said he wanted to leave money on the counter instead.

He said: “There was about a dozen folk outside. Everybody spilled out at the same time and a handful of staff came out afterwards. There was a lot of shouting and some racial epithets. I would rather not repeat it. The word ‘P***’ was used more than once.”

Mr Boag told jurors McDonald was trying to punch and kick him when he saw Dearie grab another man. The witness said he grabbed at her shirt to make her stop when English intervened and also tried to punch him. Mr Boag said he then saw Dearie run towards an “older gentleman” and assault him.

He told the court: “As he turned to leave to get out of the situation she pushed him. He bumped into the wall and fell to the ground. It looked like a bad fall. I thought he had been knocked out.”

The witness said he dialled 999 on his mobile phone when the three accused began to back off and later helped officers trace them after driving around the area in a police car. Mr Boag told the jury he thought Dearie might have been under the impression he was foreign because he had a long beard at the time of the incident.

He said: “She told me I shouldn’t stay around here, it wasn’t my place. I perceived it as being racist, just confusedly so. I grew up in the south side.”

The trial, before Lord Tyre, continues.