Racist thug left man with fractured skull after assault outside Plymouth club

A YOUNG man was left with a fractured skull after defending his girlfriend who had bravely berated a racist reveller.

The 22-year-old man was knocked unconscious by the thug while he and his girlfriend were outside the Reflex nightclub in Union Street at around 2.45am on Saturday.

The victim’s girlfriend, also aged 22, told The Herald they had been in a queue earlier that evening when they caught the man being aggressive and racially abusive to another man in the queue.

The girlfriend – whom wishes to remain anonymous – said: “He was getting very aggressive and started using the N word, shouting and getting in this man’s face.

“I could see the man he was being abusive to was getting upset and angry so I told him ‘he’s not worth it, let it go’.

“I told the other guy there was no need for him to be racist and aggressive. I think at some stage the doormen hadn’t let him in.

“I think in the end the racist guy walked off and the other man went the other way.”

However, when the girl and her boyfriend later left the club, they encountered the racist thug stood between Reflex and The Zone building.

She said: “He started shouting the odds again and was getting threatening, saying ‘there’s the gobby one’ and ‘I would watch your back if I was you’.

“My boyfriend told him to stop, saying ‘that’s my fiance’ but this guy just flew over and punched him. He fell back and hit his head on a ledge and just collapsed in a pile on the floor. It all happened so fast.”

The suspect fled the area immediately and the victim’s girlfriend frantically sought help.

She said: “I was panicking and didn’t think straight. I went to the Reflex doormen who were closing up and begged them to call an ambulance, but they wouldn’t help, saying I would have to do it myself. I’m still fuming about it.

“I saw the police across the road at Union Rooms and called them over and they radioed for help.”

The young man was treated at the scene by paramedics before being taken to Derriford Hospital where it was found he had suffered a fractured skull.

A police spokesman said: “The victim can remember very little of the incident and has only today been released by the hospital.

“While it may be thought that this was just a single punch, we have had cases in the past where it has resulted in death.

“These kind of incidents can end tragically. The victim was attempting to defend his partner, who was in turn trying to get the suspect to leave people in the queue alone.

“We want to hear from anyone who was in the queue that night or who was in the area and may have witnessed the incident or the lead up to it.”

The suspect was described as white, around 6ft tall, of stocky build and with dark hair. He wore a blue jumper and blue jeans.

If you can assist police contact them on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 quoting crime reference number EC/14/1480.

Plymouth Herald